Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rickey Henderson Remembers Volcanoes Manager Tom Trebelhorn

Over the weekend, one of the all-time greats, Rickey Henderson, was inducted into the Hall of Fame. In his speech, he gave a sweet shout out to current Volcanoes manager Tom Trebelhorn:
In 1976, my first year in the minor league, my coach, Tom Trebelhorn, helped me develop my skill in base running and taught me to play the game hard. I had not perfected how to take a lead or how to slide. Tom asked me to come to practice early every day and work on my sliding and base running skill. I guess, Tom, that hard work paid off for me, and I am very grateful.

Go see some baseball, drink some beer, and toast the dreams of minor leaguers and the efforts of teachers everywhere.

(h/t Portland journalist and blogger Dwight Jaynes)

No comments:

Post a Comment