The chain looks something like this:
Hillsboro Hops (2013- )
Yakima Bears (1990-2012)
Salem Dodgers (1988-89)
Salem Angels (1982-87)
Salem Senators (1977-81)
Salem Dodgers (1961-65)
Salem Senators (1940-42, 1946-60)
Bellingham Chinooks (1938-39)
|Sign at Waters Field, Salem Library Historic Photo Collection|
|Waters Field, 25th & Mission from 1950 Sanborn Map|
current site of Post Office
|George Waters, circa 1940|
George E. Waters, a native of Nebraska, born in 1869, came to Salem, Oregon, with his parents in 1872. In 1891 he opened a cigar store in Salem. Fifteen years later, he embarked on the tobacco wholesale business in his shop on State Street. He eventually added wholesale candy to the inventory of his tobacco shop on State Street....Joseph Adolph [brother of Sam Adolph!] and George E. Waters both purchased an interest in the corner Durbin Building in 1911.About the first season, Capi Lynn wrote in 1996
A ticket was a quarter; scorecards and hot dogs were a nickel apiece.
For 35 cents, one could enjoy an evening at the ballpark.
Players were paid about $130 a month, and they traveled from game to game in a rickety old bus.
Those were the vital statistics of professional baseball in Salem, as it was in 1940.
George E. Waters, a man who made his money selling wholesale tobacco and candy, was the father.
|Leila Waters, OSL|
He purchased a Class B minor league franchise from Bellingham, Wash., brought it to Salem, and built a $60,000 stadium for it to call home. It was his home, Waters Field.Salem was a small town, and the connections go ever deeper.
For George Waters was William C. Knighton's brother-in-law! Knighton had married George's sister, Leila Waters (also Lella Waters in some sources), in Indianapolis in October 1898.
And, in fact, the Knighton designed a house at Summer and Center for George around 1911. (The National Register listing for the Schnabel House in Portland says 1895, but this seems unlikely, as this would make it a near-contemporary of Deepwood and the Murphy house,* and obviously the style is quite different.)
|Waters House, Pacific Coast Architect June 1912, via UO Library|
Knighton and Howell, the firm that designed North High School, also may have done design work for the seating at Waters Field - but this was after Knighton died in 1938.
Hamilton House in Roseburg identifies Murphy as a Knighton client, and the Hamilton, Murphy, and Port/Deepwood houses share a family look. This announcement from July 3rd, 1894 is strong evidence this house, and not the Waters house, was completed about 1895.