Saturday, January 24, 2009

Venti's Cafe

Venti's Cafe almost certainly has the best set of tap handles in the city. So it's appropriate to inaugurate the blog with a nod to Ventis. Thanks for caring about beer!

Venti's is also in an historic spot. Here's the R.M. Wade building. Around 1940 it was remodeled. The Pearce Building we know today hides the bones of a very old building!

About the R.M. Wade Company (still in business!), the Salem Online History says:
Robert M. Wade, overland immigrant to Oregon in 1850, founded R. M. Wade & Company in Salem in 1865. "Wades," as it was generally known, sold agricultural and household equipment from the two-story brick structure (constructed in 1869) at the corner of Commercial and Court streets, adjoining the England Block. The Wade & Company eventually specialized in farm equipment, carrying all the latest iron tools and equipment manufactured in the 1870s and 1880s and, eventually, tractors. The company also pioneered the use of sprinkler irrigation equipment known as "Wade Rain." By the early 1890s, when R.M. Wade established the company headquarters in Portland, Wades distributed its goods throughout the Willamette Valley and the Pacific Northwest. In 1902 the Salem branch of the business became "Wade-Pearce & Company."

As of last night:
Venti's Upstairs
Ninkasi Tricerahops Double IPA
New Old Lompoc Imperial C-Note Pale Ale
Bear Republic Apex IPA
Oregon Trail Ginseng Porter

Venti's Downstairs
Bear Republic Racer 5
Fort George Sunrise Oatmeal Pale Ale
Block 15 Belgian Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment