Sunday, March 1, 2009

Venti's Cafe and Brown's - Quick update

Brown's has 6 Ninkasi taps. Sleigh'r is still on. Didn't find out who's out. Probably Tricerahops. The new seasonal, Spring Reign, is flowing, too. At the Oregonian, John Foyston has a poster for "Spring Loaded." I bet that label didn't fly! I like the desription there better too:
Spring Reign- Spring forward with this new ale! Biscuit malt provides a rich toasty malt note upfront that is balanced with bright hoppy noted [sic] from American hops. It is like a British Pale with American hops. Simcoe, Santiam, and Ahtanum hops round out the aroma and flavor. 6% alc./vol. 38 ibus.
PBR is also on tap and the 8th handle was out.

And At Venti's
Upstairs:
California Cider Company ACE Apple Cider
Ninkasi Tricerahops had just blown
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
New Belgian Mighty Pale Ale

Downstairs:
A Calapooia IPA - but not RIParian IPA...didn't get the full name
Mt. Shasta Weed Lemurian Lager
Bear Republic Hot Rod Rye
Rainier

2 comments:

  1. Any idea what the Hot Rod Rye at Venti's is like? I've never tried a beer called rye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a goof. The beer - I stumble over the puns all the time, so for the record, I mistyped the beer name, and it is Hop Rod Rye rather than Hot Rod Rye! - has only 20% rye in the malt, and is rated at 90 IBUs. It's pretty hoppy, and personally I find that its hoppiness overwhelms any difference that the rye might make. I wish it were more subtle - but anything named after a hot rod isn't going to be subtle, right?

    If you really want to learn about rye malts, rye whisky can be a better place to note the difference, and I find a grassy, spicy character in rye whisky - almost like Sauvignon Blanc to Bourbon's richer Cabernet Sauvignon.

    ReplyDelete